Monday, January 23, 2006

The assistant bank manager has been very sweet --staying in touch with me and letting me know she hasn't had time to answer my (admittedly daunting) list of questions. She said she will try to work with an experienced branch supervisor to answer my questions.

I sent the assistant bank manager a new email today:

Dear X,

Thanks so much for staying in touch with me and letting me know you haven't yet had time to answer my list of questions.

I have been able to get answers to several of my questions. And, since my prior email list of questions was so lengthy, I am sending you a revised (and considerably shorter!) list of questions --this should be easier to answer when you and the branch supervisor have a few extra minutes.

The more succinct list of questions:

1. Are there different rates of interest for different kinds of loans (say, education, personal, car)? If so, why are there different rates for different loans?

2. If I understand correctly, the bank makes money by charging various fees, but then also by collecting interest on loans and making investments. What are the kinds of things the bank invests in? Is the list of investments that a bank makes public information, available to customers?

3. And, what group of people make the decisions about what the bank invests in?

4. (This is a new question) How is the bank's Board of Director's selected? What does the Board do, and do the members of the board get compensated for their work on the Board?

Thanks again for helping me understand the structure and workings of banks, as I work on this kid's book/blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home